Thunderstorm Safety Tips To Help Protect You And Your Henderson County Home
While there really isn't much you can do to prevent the severe thunderstorms that rock our world here in Henderson County, you can minimize the damages to your home and property. By taking a few precautionary measures, you can help to protect your family and home.
To prepare for the inevitable thunderstorms that we get here in the mountains, we recommend these safety tips:
- Put together an emergency kit and family plan (see details on how to do this in our other blog)
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or damage your home or property
- Remove dead or rotten trees
- Remove branches and debris
- Stay inside your home during the storm
- Close all exterior windows and doors
- Unplug electronic equipment before the storm (power surges from lighting can cause serious damage to computers and televisions)
- Avoid taking a shower or bath during a storm (plumbing and bathroom fixtures can conduct electricity)
- Listen to a battery-operated radio for the latest storm updates
If your home is damaged by a storm, please contact SERVPRO of Henderson County at 828-692-3337. Our highly trained professionals use specialized equipment and advanced training to quickly restore your home to pre-storm condition.