Mold Myths - Discerning Myth from Facts
Mold can be a very serious problem and should be taken seriously. There are a lot of misconceptions and misinformation that can lead to confusion, making it rather difficult for home owners to know how best to proceed with its removal. It's important to have all the facts straight to be able to discern myth from fact.
"No need to worry... It's only a little bit of mold, I can handle this on my own"
Seeing just a little mold does seem harmless, but chances are, if the mold has become visible, it may have been growing for quite some time. Sure, small areas of mold can sometimes be handled rather easily, but once mold has become visible there's more than likely mold growing behind the surface and having a professional look at it is probably a good idea. When in doubt, its better to be safe than sorry, as mold can often be pervasive.
"Bleach kills mold, so you don't have to remove it if you kill it"
While bleach may kill some types of mold on non-porous surfaces, it's still unclear whether or not it can kill all types of mold or kill mold on porous surfaces like wood. Even if you are able to kill mold on your own, did you remove the allergens that live it it? They can still be present even if the mold is killed. To protect yourself fully, its often necessary to remove the affected areas and in doing so, you really have to be careful not to spread the mold spores throughout your house during that extraction. If the mold spores spread, they can further contaminate your home. Professionals, like us, know how to set up proper containment to prevent to the spores from spreading.
If you see mold in your home, call us today! Our SERVPRO of Henderson County team can help you with a proper course of action. 828-692-3337